Tuesday, July 14, 2009

update on my mom

haha. mom is a palindrome. (speaking of which, how come "palindrome" is not a palindrome? i mean, i know why the word is not a palindrome, but why not pick a word that's actually a palindrome to represent the idea? why not call them a "beyeb" or a "perrep" or an "arbra?" the word palindrome does not correctly represent the idea of a word that is spelled the same backwards as it is forwards. i find this as odd today as i did when i was in fifth grade and we read the book "Hannah is a Palindrome." i loved that story, especially when she SLAMMED the dictionary down on the desk to get the class's (class'? classes'? classessess?s?) attention. but even back then, i thought that it was odd that the word chosen to represent the idea of a word spelled the same backwards and forwards was not a word that was spelled the same backwards and forwards. i did not say anything at the time. i didn't want to rock the boat.)


oh, sorry. mom is doing fine.

8 comments:

Kristen said...

They definitely should have gone with arbra. :)

Along the same vein, why isn't 'phonetic' spelled phonetically?

Ellie said...

"I led some to Hot Emo's Deli"

There's one for you, haha I love palindromes and thanks for the link!

patrick | steed said...

@kristen - brian regan has a joke about that.

@ellie - AWESOME!!

Bree said...

Also: Onomatopoeia! It's not onomatopoeiatical at all. I've never heard any natural sound that sounds like that word. Silly Greek-based words.

patrick | steed said...

Good point.

Jo said...

Go hang a salami. I'm a lasagna hog.

Useless information, I tell you. No functional memory, but THIS I remember? Why?

WV - cherts - when you get the runs from eating too many cherries. "I don't even want to smell cherries anymore, man. Last time I ate some, they game me the cherts."

Yes. It's past my bedtime. Maybe I shouldn't comment when I'm really tired?

Angela said...

Blame Ben Johnson; he's a contemporary of Shakespeare. Those guys were all the time making up words that we now have to use: like bedroom, courtship, and eyeball.
The word "palindrome" was coined from Greek roots "palin" meaning "back" and "dromos" meaning the "way, direction." Good ole Ben.
I like everyone's suggestions for new names for palindromes that are palindromes; I think we should move on--I mean, there's so much Elizabethan we don't use anymore. Anon, would not one agree?

patrick | steed said...

You are a huge nerd.

That's why I love you.